GOAT DYNASTY
GOAT DYNASTY
GOAT DYNASTY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!!

Go down 
5 posters

Should the Dynasty be a Keeper League?
No, leave it the way it is.
Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! I_vote_lcap67%Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! I_vote_rcap
 67% [ 6 ]
Yes, but not this year. (Meaning that next year's draft will be the first as a "Keeper")
Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! I_vote_lcap22%Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! I_vote_rcap
 22% [ 2 ]
Yes, make it a Keeper. (Meaning that you can now keep a few players heading into next year)
Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! I_vote_lcap11%Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! I_vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

AuthorMessage
Royalty
Football God
Football God
Royalty

Gemini Pig

Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! Empty
PostSubject: Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!!   Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 9:31 pm

I have had people in my ear about making the Goat Dynasty a Keeper League for a long time now. I have personally never wanted to, but it just keeps on coming up. I wanted to make it a poll so I can get the opinions of the people that matter so I can see where everyone else stands.
For those of you who don't know what a keeper league is it's basically the same league, but before the season starts you get to "keep" a few players from your team. I think there are pros and cons so here are a few:

Pros:

-You get to hold onto a few of your studs (usually 3 or 4).
-There are extra bragging rights if say you draft a rookie or 2nd yearer, and if that person ends up being great in a few years.
-It makes it interesting all year, even if you are at the bottom of the standings.
-You can always look foward to next year.
-It hopefully locks the same 12 people in the league every year.

Cons:

-It makes it REALLY difficult to replace a team if someone drops out of the league. (Because someone would have to not only join the league, but inherit the abandoned team.)
-Makes the draft less interesting, since you basically start from round 4 or 5.
-If you really like a player and he is on another team, you may never get to have him.
-It takes the surprise out of the draft and buildup to the draft.
-Like in all fantasy, if you spend one of your valuable keepers on someone and they get injured, you may be fucked.
-It hopefully locks the same 12 people in the league every year, but it is still unlikely. (We have NEVER had the whole league stay from year to year.

Please feel free to add any thoughts or comments.

Keep in mind that this isn't an "official" poll, meaning that if more people vote for a Keeper leauge that doesn't automatically make ours a KL next year or the year after.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lskc.synthasite.com
THÖR'S HAMMER
Football God
Football God
THÖR'S HAMMER

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!!   Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 10:05 pm

This will probably surprise Ryan as I am one of the little birds in his ear, but I vote no. No for the 2 reasons mentioned above. 1. It makes the draft way less fun. 2. It's very hard to "sell" an abandoned team as it is usually one that didn't do so well the year before.

I would like us to increase the entry fee to either $50 or $100 though. That would make the payout more much more significant and would increase the "vested" interest by each manager.
Back to top Go down
https://goat.darkbb.com
magicman2010
Rookie
Rookie
magicman2010

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!!   Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 12:24 am

No I'm not feeling a keeper league. This league has always been based upon having great draft day hypes on who is picking who. In addition, it makes the league fun due to the fact of every manager gets new toys to play with each year. Each manager at the draft always gets shiit talked to them in the first couple rounds which makes it fun. There would be no fun in players slipping down the draft board, finding sleepers, and sadly getting busts. The bragging rights would be taken away on who got who. With Goat being a keeper league it would take away from the fact that everybody would have equal and fair chance of winning it all. Also, this could create dynasties and monopolies in fantasy football if someone had a really good draft from the year before. I like the idea that everybody has to start from scratch and have to "earn" their keep for winning it all. Lastly, I agree with Jim on a higher payout to deter managers from not paying attention and could them something to dance for. This would have everybody paying attention all the time and make the game more interesting. I think maybe make the payout $35 or $40 would be good. Idea
Back to top Go down
THÖR'S HAMMER
Football God
Football God
THÖR'S HAMMER

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!!   Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 1:00 am

1. Nicely put MM.
2. OMG it's hard to read your giant paragraphs with a few scattered punctuations. lol

Quote :
I agree with Jim on a higher payout to deter managers from not paying
attention and could them something to dance for. This would have
everybody paying attention all the time and make the game more
interesting. I think maybe make the payout $35 or $40 would be good. Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! Icon_idea

Did you mean the entry fee?

The other league I am in has a $100 buy in, $2 per player pick-up/waiver, $5 per player Traded.

The $100 dollars sounds like a lot, but frankly it's like .41 cents a day for the season. Although I wish the trade/waiver costs were lower (like $1), I must say, by the end of the year the entry + the accumulated fee's is HUGE!

First Place payout is usually around $1200!!! ($500 for 2nd and $100 and free fee's for 3rd.) 1st place usually makes some type of classy or funny gesture, like good cigars at the next draft or a good bottle of scotch, etc.. Last place gets a Tshirt that they have to wear "I'm a BIG PUSSY" (but I get 1st pick) at the next draft to deter teams dragging their heels at the end of the season to get top draft..

Trust me, people pay attention. We don't have a cool forum like this in that league but just on the crappy ESPN forum there is already well over 100 posts and 500 replies. There are still 1 or 2 that you don't hardly know if they are alive or not (friggin hate that) but most are very active.
Back to top Go down
TJack36
2008 Champion
2008 Champion

PostSubject: Re: Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!!   Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 8:54 am

I voted no. I love having the idea of a new draft each year. I love strategizing each year for having a completely brand new team.
Back to top Go down
http://www.101gfx.com

PostSubject: Re: Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!!   Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 11:23 am

no, and i cant believe that noone has mentioned the fact that some people would start out with a huge disadvantage if they had a team full of busts (lovemakers), versus someone who has a team full of big time breakouts (thor). this would take away a major part of why the draft is so exciting too, its like a damn marathon, but i love it because of that.

and i would be alright with a SLIGHT increase to the initial fees, but nothing like 50 and certainly nothing like 100. poor college students like myself cant afford fees like that and if it was as high as 50 i would be extremely reluctant to return for a 4th year...
Back to top Go down
THÖR'S HAMMER
Football God
Football God
THÖR'S HAMMER

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!!   Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 11:44 am

^ You can't save .40 cents a day for 6 months? Just think of the 1 in 12 chance of winning $1000 payout! You can't get those kinda odds in Vegas.
Back to top Go down
Royalty
Football God
Football God
Royalty

Gemini Pig

PostSubject: Re: Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!!   Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 10:55 pm

BoilerTFU wrote:
no, and i cant believe that noone has mentioned the fact that some people would start out with a huge disadvantage if they had a team full of busts (lovemakers), versus someone who has a team full of big time breakouts (thor). this would take away a major part of why the draft is so exciting too, its like a damn marathon, but i love it because of that.
Well, I would like to think that everyone could at least come up with 3 players that they would like to keep for the next year. And plus when you have a team full of studs like Jim, it makes it harder for him because he would have to choose between them, and then puts the other studs in the pool of draftable players. Also, usually in keeper leagues the worst team drafts first, so then the team with the worst record would have their pick of the dropped players.

It is looking like we are not going to become a keeper league, but there is some fun to it. I would love to have 2 leagues, a keeper and a regular. We tried this a few years ago, but only had 6 teams, and the ones weren't into it all yuear. We obviously would not charge a lot if any for the 2nd league, but I like the idea of a keeper, but not for the Dynasty.

That being said, if we did turn into a keeper league, who would you keep? (Remember, this is just for fun, and we are not going to turn into a KL.)

I would keep:

Philip Rivers (only 1 l in his name, who knew?)
Vincent Jackson (that combo can be deadly for years to come, as VJ is becoming one of the best)
Andre Johnson (it would be wierd not to pick my #1 pick, but I know some of you would have to/or don't have them anymore! lol! )
Back to top Go down
THÖR'S HAMMER
Football God
Football God
THÖR'S HAMMER

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!!   Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 8:04 am

I think we should make it a 2 team option league. I have always supported having a separate keeper league. It has to be 12 teams and I think it should be a higher priced fee. It would have to be only ultra hardcore FF managers. We may have to recruit outside the current Goat Dynasty.

Last edited by THÖR'S HAMMER™ on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Lovemaker
All-Pro
All-Pro
The Lovemaker

Aquarius Rat

PostSubject: Re: Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!!   Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 7:40 am

i still cant believe that more people havent jumped on board with the keeper league idea.

teams like mine, brandon's, troy's, ben's, all of us would have a completely different stradegy at this point of the year if we were a keeper league. not to say that we arent into it now, but im sure everyone would agree that if u were in the bottom of the scrum, having a keeper league would help u stay into ff by workig toward the following year!

plus, u can pick up rookies and keep them, and then when they blow up down the road, u can say "i told u so" to everyone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!!   Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 5:00 pm

I personally came into the league late both of the years I have played. It was, in retrospect, pointless for me to join either of the years as far as money payed out goes, but this year has been exciting because I have payed attention every week and some of my picks and drops were the shit. Although my 4 and whatever record doesn't show it, I have put a lot of energy and time into what my team has become, having said that there would be another idea that hasn't been brought to the table. The opposite of a keeper league. This would parallel a NASCAR league I was in a couple of years ago. I don't know if it is possible to do, but basically you would only be able to play 1 player a certain amount of times. This would make the draft a great starting off point, and your bench wouldn't just be for bye weeks, it would be a calculated strategy of when to strike and who to strike with. I know it might be against certain "codes" everyone else is used to playing with in FF leagues, and have won many times over with sticking to a formula, but the fact of the matter is it would eliminate stupendously stupid trade offers, and even reasonable trades that are looked at as stupid by unreasonable and greedy owners (I am refering to you specifically.......no one). This would make every week count, every manager pay attention, and every player up for grabs by every person in the league at one point or another. Teams that are stacked with sure things would no longer be safe, and teams with long shots would no longer be fucked. Just a thought from the brain of one of the smartest mother fuckers to ever be mediocre when it comes to drafting a team, playing players and losing consistenly enough to not want to commit to any long term commitments in FF. I love the experience we've shared this year, and I am down for any way to make this new yet familiar, but still fare and fun for all. It just seems unfair for most to suffer while few profit in such a short span of a season, let alone consecutive seasons. My fingers are tired.
Back to top Go down
THÖR'S HAMMER
Football God
Football God
THÖR'S HAMMER

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!!   Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 8:02 pm

huh?
Back to top Go down
The Lovemaker
All-Pro
All-Pro
The Lovemaker

Aquarius Rat

PostSubject: Re: Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!!   Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 9:03 am

i get it. i dont think its necessarily a bad idea either. however, i think that concept would be harder to make reality with football. if you can only play one player a week, and you have several positions that you have to start, rather than just one driver, then by the end of the season, we will have a bunch of teams full of shity players, and what wold the playoffs be like?

i like the idea, and am up for change, but its hard to visualize this working out well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!!   Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 1:03 pm

Todd you are describing going on the rules to "Highest Card", the popular game for people who have only learned the order of cards and are either retarded or 5. i.e. Natalia McCallister. No offense Nat. The way it would work is you have the exact same parameters of our league with one more rule. You can only play a player like a certain amount of games, then they automatically go on the trading block. Players having higher stats would be able to be kept for a higher amount of games, or the other way around. You would either have to do more trades and be a little less stingy this way. I don't mean you Todd, I mean everyone. It was just a thought that might make it more interesting.

With love,

Brandon Fucking Brake
Back to top Go down
Royalty
Football God
Football God
Royalty

Gemini Pig

PostSubject: Re: Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!!   Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 9:05 pm

Just to be clear, I have read this, and am still generating my opinion of it. Don't think I am ignoring it. I just want to see everyone else's thoughts firts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!!   Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Important Poll regarding next year!...Opinions Needed!!
Page 1 of 1