GOAT DYNASTY
GOAT DYNASTY
GOAT DYNASTY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How many Keepers?

Go down 
+3
TJack36
Royalty
Excellence
7 posters

How many keepers should we keep next year?
How many Keepers? I_vote_lcap0%How many Keepers? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
How many Keepers? I_vote_lcap50%How many Keepers? I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 4 ]
How many Keepers? I_vote_lcap50%How many Keepers? I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 8

AuthorMessage
Excellence
2007 Champion
2007 Champion
Excellence

How many Keepers? Empty
PostSubject: How many Keepers?   How many Keepers? EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 8:19 pm

I dont think we should have any of this mid-draft voting on the number of keepers this time around. I say we vote between 1, 2, 3. And then Jim, you should post the rules of next years draft depending on what keepers we decide to keep. Then everyone will know what the rules are and can draft this year accordingly.
Back to top Go down
Excellence
2007 Champion
2007 Champion
Excellence

How many Keepers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many Keepers?   How many Keepers? EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 8:19 pm

My vote is 3
Back to top Go down
Royalty
Football God
Football God
Royalty

Gemini Pig

How many Keepers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many Keepers?   How many Keepers? EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 9:16 pm

I like 2. I think 1 is not enough, 3 is to many, but 2 is just right.

1 makes it not really a keeper. We might as well not have it be a Keeper league with only 1 keeper. I was arguing for 1 during the draft only because it was the only number said prior, and I do think that anything we decide should be final before the draft. That really does change your strategy.

3 is a normal number that Keepers usually use, but I think that may cause a team to be too strong year after year. I only like that if that team was me Twisted Evil

2 is a good number to me. The best of both worlds.

I do not think there should be any rules about having to keep a certain position or rookies or anything.

The round that you keep a player being taken away is interesting though. So I can do with that rule if that is decided.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lskc.synthasite.com
Excellence
2007 Champion
2007 Champion
Excellence

How many Keepers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many Keepers?   How many Keepers? EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 10:42 pm

i want to make it clear that i do not want to step on jims toes for starting this post/vote. if he wants it a certain way its his call and our vote is squashed cause he is the comish and we should all be cool with that. i just wanted to see what everyone thought.
Back to top Go down
TJack36
2008 Champion
2008 Champion

How many Keepers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many Keepers?   How many Keepers? EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 7:40 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.101gfx.com
THÖR'S HAMMER
Football God
Football God
THÖR'S HAMMER

Cancer Dog

How many Keepers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many Keepers?   How many Keepers? EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 1:04 pm

Excellence wrote:
i want to make it clear that i do not want to step on jims toes for starting this post/vote. if he wants it a certain way its his call and our vote is squashed cause he is the comish and we should all be cool with that. i just wanted to see what everyone thought.

not at all. When I as I started reading your post I kept thinking how cool it was that you took the initiative. That's what it's all about. This league is a democracy. Majority rules. Input is valued. So thanks Ben. Love how your all over it!!

As my esteemed colleague pointed out, one is too few but unlike Ryan I think two is still not enough. IMO Max 3 is perfect. It allows you to keep and diversify positions if you choose. I propose that you are not required to keep 3. You can keep 3, 2, 1 or none if you choose.

I like the "Lose a Round" rule and would like to include that in our bylaws.

In keeper leagues the idea is to pick this years Miles Austin or Ray Rice. Youth talent with a low floor, high ceiling that hopefully is a 1st or 2nd rounder the following year.

So using last year as an example: let's say last year I draft Chris Johnson in the 2nd round, Ray Rice in the 5th and Miles Austin in the 12th. I decide this year that those 3 players will be my keepers. In this years draft I would lose my 2nd, 5th and 12 round picks. If I keep two 1st rounders, I would lose the 1st and 2nd round. If I choose to not keep any keepers or only 2 or even 1, that is my prerogative. I can throw them all back into the pile and start fresh. I would only lose what I keep.

One more proposal: If during the year you pick up a player of the waiver wire or as a FA that you decide to keep the following year, you would lose your last. This would reward a savvy waiver wire pick-up.

- THÖR'S HAMMER™ aka The Oracle
Back to top Go down
https://goat.darkbb.com
Royalty
Football God
Football God
Royalty

Gemini Pig

How many Keepers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many Keepers?   How many Keepers? EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 6:10 pm

Sounds cool to me!

What about the auction thing for next year? Wouldn't it be wise to keep the same draft style year in and year out?
Back to top Go down
Excellence
2007 Champion
2007 Champion
Excellence

How many Keepers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many Keepers?   How many Keepers? EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 10:11 pm

I agree with Jims post 100%.

I am not a fan of the acution, just makes shit harder to figure out. But ill play along if its decided on.

Ben
Back to top Go down
THÖR'S HAMMER
Football God
Football God
THÖR'S HAMMER

Cancer Dog

How many Keepers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many Keepers?   How many Keepers? EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 12:19 am

If you've never done the auction style draft, you might want to reconsider it. It is the truly fairest way to draft and the funnest. I personally have never talked to anyone that has tried it and didn't like it better than the snake style. Most people just stay with the snake because it's familiar to them and they are worried to risk trying a new format. (which I totally understand}.

In the auction style, everyone has a shot at every player. You want Chris Johnson? Be the highest bidder and you get him. You wanna be frugal and save your money for value picks? Do it. This format really rewards those that know their shit.

In a snake style, starting from the random draft on, picking names out of a hat It's based on luck or bad luck depending on where you draft from.

A live, in person auction/bid style draft would be a blast! We should shoot for that next year.

There is still time to make this an Auction Draft. No 1st or 10th pick. We would all be 1st pick. Anyone interested?
Back to top Go down
Royalty
Football God
Football God
Royalty

Gemini Pig

How many Keepers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many Keepers?   How many Keepers? EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 2:01 am

I must say that I am one of those guys that says that if it aint broke, then don't fix it. Meaning that I really enjoy a snake draft. Even though you don't get first pick sometimes then it is the cards you are dealt. A lot of people do not want the first pick because of the pressure.

That being said I have nothing against an auction draft. It does sound interesting to say the least. If I understand correctly you still draw an order and the first person picked puts any player up for "auction" right? Then any and everyone is able to bid on that player any amount?

Does everyone start at 1$?
How much money do you have?
What happens if you run out of money and still have spots to fill?
Can you pick up free agents after the draft for free?
How would keepers work next year?

I would love to do an auction, but I fear that everyone else would have too many questions and would be scared to do it the new way this year....me included in that. That being said if the majority wants to then let's do it!

I do believe that if we still do snake this year then we need to do snake forever. If we want to do an additional auction league (I would love to do a public auction league if anyone is interested), then I think that would be the way. If we want to make this league auction, then it should be that way forever.
Back to top Go down
THÖR'S HAMMER
Football God
Football God
THÖR'S HAMMER

Cancer Dog

How many Keepers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many Keepers?   How many Keepers? EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 2:49 am

Quote :
  1. Does everyone start at 1$?
    How much money do you have?
    What happens if you run out of money and still have spots to fill?
    Can you pick up free agents after the draft for free?
    How would keepers work next year?

You take turns nominating players to bid on.
each player starting bid is at $1
you have $200 to spend total
each time a bid is placed or raised the countdown starts at 15 seconds.
The computer makes you save a dollar for every left over roster spot so at least you get a full roster.
when all roster spots have been filled, the draft is over.
Waiver and FA are free.
Next years draft would not include keepers in the auction. We would Assign Auction Keeper Players

I suggest getting on Yahoo and doing a Mock auction draft to get a feel for it.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

How many Keepers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many Keepers?   How many Keepers? EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 10:09 pm

I voted for 2. Makes it more interesting.
Back to top Go down
The Big Green Machine
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
The Big Green Machine

Cancer Pig

How many Keepers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many Keepers?   How many Keepers? EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 10:18 am

I REALLY AGREE WITH NEXT YEARS DRAFT BEING THAT OF AN AUCTION STYLE. iT IS A BLAST. YOU SHOULD DO A MOCK AUCTION IF YOU HAVENT ALREADY!!! YOU CAN ACTUALLY GET A TEAM THAT YOU BUY AND IS BASED ON WHAT YOU ACTUALLY WANT AS OPPOSED TO THE SNAKE DRAFT WHERE YOU CAN GET WHAT YOU WANT, BUT NOT NORMALLY ALL BECUASE SOME OF THE PLAYERS THAT YOU WANTED WERE TAKEN RIGHT B4 U GOT TO PICK. IT IS SOLID, AND I CHALLENGE ALL THE NAYSAYERS TO GET ON A MOCK AUCTION STYLE DRAFT, AND SEE IF YOU LIKE THE TEAM YOU END UP WITH. YOU WANNA NOMINATE DALLAS CLARK FOR THE 4TH OVERALL PICK, YOU GOT IT... JUST MAKE SURE YOU WANT TO ANTE UP!!!!!!!!!! NOMINATE ANY PLAYER YOU WANT, AND LET THE BIDDING BEGIN!

lol!
Back to top Go down
THÖR'S HAMMER
Football God
Football God
THÖR'S HAMMER

Cancer Dog

How many Keepers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many Keepers?   How many Keepers? EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 11:49 am

It's too late to get a majority vote on an auction draft and kinda shitty to drop that bomb on somebody the night of the draft.

We will auction next year.

PS 4 vs 4 on the vote for keepers! ....Interesting.
Back to top Go down
The Lovemaker
All-Pro
All-Pro
The Lovemaker

Aquarius Rat

How many Keepers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many Keepers?   How many Keepers? EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:16 am

so just out of curiosity, did we ever come to a clear decision on the keeper issue???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How many Keepers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many Keepers?   How many Keepers? Empty

Back to top Go down

How many Keepers?
Page 1 of 1